Piedmont is a city primarily in Canadian County, Oklahoma, though a small part of it is in Kingfisher County. It is a part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area. The population was 5,720 at the 2010 census, a 56.7 percent increase from 3,650 at the 2000 census. Piedmont is a home rule city served by a council-manager government city of Piedmont was founded on land claimed during the Unassigned Land Run of April 22, 1889. The town was founded in 1903 by Dr. E. H. Long.
Piedmont’s success was spurred by the now-defunct St. Louis, El Reno and Western Railway that extended a line from Guthrie to El Reno, which allowed it to become an agricultural market center. However, the railroad ceased to operate in 1924.
Piedmont remained a small but stable rural community for the first half of the 20th century. Starting in the 1950s, the town became an increasingly popular bedroom community for those working in nearby Oklahoma City. Development of the “Northwest Expressway” (Oklahoma State Highway 3) resulted in population growth of 124%.